Provide an Emergency First Aid Response in an Education and Care Setting(HLTAID004)
This unit describes the skills and knowledge required to provide a first aid response to infants, children and adults.
The unit applies to educators and support staff working within an education and care setting who are required to respond to a first aid emergency, including asthmatic and anaphylactic emergencies.
This unit of competency may contribute towards approved first aid, asthma and anaphylaxis training under the Education and Care Services National Law, and the Education and Care Services National Regulations (2011).
Specific licensing requirements, including requirements for refresher training, should be obtained from the Australian Children’s Education and Care Quality Authority (ACECQA) and/or relevant state/territory Work Health and Safety Regulatory Authority.
Skills you will gainThis includes a demonstrated understanding of:
- Awareness of stress management techniques and available support
- First aid management, based on a risk assessment relevant to the workplace or community setting of:
- abdominal injuries
- allergic reactions
- altered and loss of consciousness
- burns – thermal, chemical, friction, electrical
- cardiac arrest
- chest pain
- choking/airway obstruction